Frequently Asked Questions

Is this service covered by OHIP or other sources?
OHIP does not cover psychological services.
You may be eligible for some coverage if you:

Have group medical insurance (ask your benefit administrator for details).
Were injured in a car accident and qualify under no fault benefits.
Were injured at work and qualify under WSIB.
Qualify for agencies such Veterans Affairs and First Nations to mention a few.
Your company is registered for an Employee Assistance Program (EAP) with our company.

How much do the services cost?
Fees vary depending on the therapist you see and if you are eligible for funding, as listed above.
Do I need a referral from my doctor? No.

Is there a waiting list?
Frequently you may get an appointment within a week.

What are our hours of operation?
Evening appointments available. 

Can Dr. Gembora prescribe medication?
No, but she will work with your family doctor if medication is needed.

What qualifications do psychologists have?
In most jurisdictions (including Ontario) a Psychologist has a Doctorate in Psychology (Ph.D. or Psy.D.) from an accredited university. Psychologists study personality, brain-behavior function and dysfunction, neuropsychology, cognition, and interpersonal relationships, as well as ways to provide effective psychological treatment. They receive considerable supervised training (typically a minimum of ten years of university study, clinical training, and research) before being ready for independent regulated practice.

What kinds of psychologists are there?
Like most health professions, there are specialty areas in Psychology, including Clinical Psychology, Health Psychology, Neuropsychology, Industrial/Organizational Psychology, Academic Psychology, Counselling Psychology, Forensic Psychology, Educational Psychology, and many others.

Psychologists provide both Assessment/Diagnosis, and Treatment/Psychotherapy.

There are three main types of psychologists:

Clinical Psychologists specialize in diagnosing and treating problems with mood, stress, emotions, and interpersonal problems. They provide psychotherapy to individuals, couples, families, and also provide group psychotherapy.

Health or Behavioral Medicine Psychologists specialize in many of the same things as do Clinical Psychologists, but their emphasis is on the factors that influence how people stay healthy, why they become ill, and how people cope when they become ill. Health psychologists provide interventions to help maximize physical, emotional, and psychological health. Both provide consultation, assessment/diagnosis, and psychotherapy/treatment.

Neuropsychologists specialize in assessing and diagnosing problems with thinking, language, learning, "executive", and other cognitive functions. They are highly skilled at understanding and researching the relationships between brain and behavior. They provide consultation and assessment/diagnosis.

What's the difference between clinical and counselling psychology?
Both clinical and counselling psychology focus on helping people in distress, and some of the interventions used by clinical and counselling psychologists are similar. A major difference, however, is that whereas clinical psychologists deal with individuals suffering from mental and physical disorders, where the focus is on assessing, diagnosing and alleviating the disorder and restoring normal functioning, counselling psychologists tend to work with less severe problems, including adjustment difficulties, marital disorders, and so on. Further, counselling psychologists are more likely than clinical psychologists to be involved in helping people, without any particular problem, achieve goals they have set (e.g. career counselling, human development). Whereas clinical psychology programs are typically found in departments of psychology, counselling psychology programs are typically offered through departments of educational psychology, and some have an educational focus.

What problems can a psychologist help me with?
Psychologists, in general, can offer a wide variety of diagnostic and treatment services for:

Stress management.
Mood disorders (depression, anxiety, anger, grief, bitterness, mood swings, etc.).
Controlling certain behaviors (drinking, hoarding, overeating, etc.).
Improved memory, concentration, ability to learn.
Behavior of your children.
Child's ability to learn.
Depression or anxiety.
Chronic pain.
Marital or family problems.
Medical problems such as complications due to a medical condition.

If you are experiencing any of these problems...Dr. Gembora can help!